Thursday, March 25, 2010

the moment we've all been waiting for

FINALLY! I made it to the Balloons Over Waikato festival! I didn't think this day would actually come!

On the 23rd I returned to Hamilton from Auckland for the registration night for all crew members and pilots. That morning I had received some sad news from home about our cat, Smokey, who had to be put down. I wasn't really feeling that up-beat, and all day I kept meeting such nice people - like the old lady sitting beside me on the bus or the random guy who helped me carrying my bags to the hostel. Thank goodness too because I needed a little grace that day. In the evening I took a bus to the hotel where the meeting was. I felt really awkward. I didn't know anyone and it was clear that almost everyone else knew at least one other person there. I didn't have the energy to be the out-going, friendly traveler from Canada so I just sat quietly in the hall while I waited for the info thing to start. I did end up making a friend that night though - Emma. I met her through the pilot who had trained me a few weeks ago. He found me sitting alone in the hall and was really kind and invited me to sit with him and his crew. Emma gets my humor which is such a relief as not everyone does (which is lonely and occasionally embarrassing, ha ha).

Wednesday was the first day of the fest and we met at 6:45am at Innes Common, a field with a marquis tent on it. It's right in Hamilton and I just walk there from where I'm staying at the YWCA. It was really foggy and a storm was on its way so no one actually took off, but we did inflate the balloons and did little rides up and down. That was cool! I got to go on one of the first ones (see photos on flickr). That afternoon, as well as the next morning, our flights were canceled and the weather has been crap. Some balloons did take off on thursday morning, but our balloon is a special shape and therefore a bit harder to fly (from my understanding) so our pilot decided not to go. We did inflate it again though for the crowd to see. I got into the basket again to help weigh it down in the wind, but the wind got a hold of the balloon anyways and knocked us around! It was a bit scary but still quite fun. Thursday afternoon we went out to a primary school in Tirau to set up for the children. That was awesome! Unfortunately it was too windy to even put the balloon up so we just spread it out for the kids to see and periodically fired the burners. The kids were lots of fun to watch, they'd scream and cheer - some even got up and ran away (which was a bit sad because then they'd cry; poor lil' guys). Today's flight was also called off due to wind. It' sunny now at least, but still quite windy. Tonight we'll have a little parade with our baskets. My teams called the Fun-gi's (because we're a giant mushroom balloon), which was my suggestion (yay me!). Saturday is supposed to be the biggest day with the Night Glow fight that evening, then sunday morning is the last flight.

I'm glad that I did decide to see it through. I've promised myself I wouldn't stress about money or finding work until after the festival.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds cool. Unfortunate that the weather didn't cooperate but it sounds like everyone still enjoyed themselves despite the wind.

    Don't stress and enjoy the crazy and wonderful things you are doing. I found that when travelling, I was more willing to take risks and do crazy things then when I am home. So enjoy the time you have! And when you get home, we'll have to do crazy things together!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good. I'm not the only one making kids cry... Yay fun-gis! Ha ha your so funny Chels! Oh how I miss you.

    ReplyDelete