Sunday, April 25, 2010

wish I may I wish I might...

...please please please please, let me get out of this funk in time to enjoy my last few weeks in NZ...

The East Cape was lovely. I wish I had gone there earlier in my trip, maybe then I'd feel differently about NZ. I thought I'd fall in love with this country. I thought it'd be my mecca. Instead I just feel disconnected and lost at sea. I could live here happily, but I wouldn't feel a spark. I wouldn't call it home. A part of me is very disappointed by that because I don't really feel like Edmonton is "home" either. It's definitely where my heart is in terms of my family and friends, but for months before I even decided to leave I felt like I wasn't going to evolve any further there. There was nothing but ghosts for me. Maybe I'll see things differently when I get back? Who knows. I sorta hope not. New Zealand is just the beginning, and now that I know it isn't where I want to call home I can go out and find a new place that I do.

Currently I'm in Taupo... - Oh yeah, while in Gisborne on the East Cape I had my wallet stolen (or maybe it just walked away, they do that from time to time). So I'm in the process of sorting things out. It really wasn't that bad because I'm a smart lady and tucked away various pockets of emergency cash. And with a little help from home (thanks mom), my credit card was cancelled efficiently. I can replace just about everything else, and what I can't I maybe didn't need it anyways. So now Taupo via Rotorua. I played speed pool in a sumo suit tonight. That's about the highlight of my current trip. Last night I saw a really good NZ roots band too - Corner Stone Roots. They played at the hostel I was staying at so I got in for cheap.

Really not exciting. I know. I'm grumpy and anti-social. A wise friend once told me "if you want to have fun, you will. If you don't want to have fun, you won't" (something like that anyway). And she was right. Hopefully I can reset my mentality in Napier tomorrow and finish my New Zealand Adventure right. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Actually very exciting. How cool? People play at hostels? Wow Chels, I think you have had more things happen to you in what 7 months than many people have had in their whole lives!

    Don't worry about "enjoying" it. Just BE! Just BE there. You are amazing and no matter where you are NZ, Edmonton, Medicine Hat :), Yukon, you will always be the most awesome Chelsea Pinkard I know! Hee hee. You know what I mean. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete