Saturday, April 3, 2010

Feijoa Picking and the number 52

Yes!!!!! I have done my first week of fruit picking! Yay me! I was told many times over that fruit picking is really hard work for low pay, dirty, monotonous, etc. It is all of those things, but I think I got really lucky with the place that I'm at. I work with 5 other girls as a team, my boss is super nice - he gives us free feijoas and beer, I get to work outside all day, it's peaceful and simple, it's very active (lots of standing, walking, lifting and crawling under low trees), and the pay is good comparitively. I'm quite happy actually. I do not enjoy the place I'm living that much - I'd often rather be at work. But it's getting better as I settle in.

Having said all of those nice positive things, I have also decided not to stay. I will come home to Edmonton on the 27th of may! So I'll only work here for two more weeks, then I'll (hopefully) have enough money to finish exploring the south island and return (at which point I'll be broke). I still feel a bit back-and-forth about this decision, but over all I can feel a positive difference in my mood and energy levels so I think it's the right choice for me. It's quality over quantity after all.

I'll be home in 52 days! :D

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so excited! I can't wait to see you again and hear about all the amazing things you did in New Zealand!

    I promised I would meet you at the airport in a halloween costume if you wanted me to. Well, it won't be october but if you still want me there, let me know. I would even wear a costume!

    Enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand... I am so jealous but wish you the best!

    Lots of love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great job! Yay for fun jobs and nice people!

    ReplyDelete