Saturday, November 7, 2009

at last! Employment!

During my 4 hour bus trip back to Auckland I recieved a phone call in regards to a job I had applied for a few days before. It's a housekeeping position in Franz Josef, which is on the south island on the west coast. This little town's claim to fame is a big 'ol glacier. Supposedly the town has a population of approximately 300. Eeeek! I will be working in a motel called 58 on Cron and living in a staff accomodation that sounds like it's seperate from the motel itself. I still have to pay rent but it's subsidized. I think the proprietor said there were 3 or 4 other girls living there that'd I'd be working with too. I only have to work 9am to 1pm each day so I can get another job in the afternoons/evenings if I want. I think I will. I was excited about it until the bus driver told me it's the STD capital of NZ! He also said it was a ghost town. That really killed my enthusiasm, but I think I will still go and give it a shot anyway. If it's lousy then I can always leave, and atleast I'll have a chance to settle for a bit and make some money. Plus, that guy had a much different personality than I do, what he hates I might not mind or may even enjoy (well, I don't think anyone is keen on STDs but I wasn't planning on shaking up anyways).

Speaking of shaking up - as many of you may remeber, I had a running half-joke before I left about meeting and falling in love with the rich, charming, handsome, fun kiwi bloke of my dreams, and getting married and living happily ever after. Well I haven't met him yet. In fact, there is a man shortage on this island and the south island for that matter. I'm told that statistically there is a 3 to 1 ratio of women to men in my age group. Fiddle sticks! So, I guess I'll have to settle for an Aussie... ha ha! just kidding (well, half-kidding). That actually works out well though. I've met quite a few people who are in relationships and either traveling without that person and wishing they were at home with them, or traveling with them and fighting/compromising all the time. I'd rather do my own thing and enjoy the places I'm at. I'm having a hard enough time doing that while I worry about money (not that I'm having any serious finacial crisis, I just am running low on the money that isn't my savings. I would like my savings to stay just that).

Thus, tomorrow I head over to IEP to organize some paper work, put some things in storage, and get help booking a cheap flight to the south and a bus to the west coast. We'll see how this all works out...

3 comments:

  1. Go with your gut on this job. At any rate you get to experience living in a small community. Is this a tourist town? It sounds quaint! STD capital heh? I just thought I would throw in my Canadian accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently it rains a lot there due to the glacier being so close to sea level. Don't store your wellintons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know about AirNZ's 'grabaseat'? Keep an eye out and you may have yourself a very cheap flight. They even go for a buck at times! Grabaseat is on twitter for instant updates.

    Loving your blog, Chelsea!! Keep up that enthusiasm, not enough people have it! Cheers! Wendy

    ReplyDelete