Friday, May 14, 2010

On the topic of "goodbyes"

Two weeks until I return home!

Tonight I'm in Queenstown to catch the bus in the am heading to Milford Sounds and Gunn's camp. The next day I'll go to Invercargill (largest southern township), then Duniden for a couple nights, then on to Christchurch for a few more... My tour of the south island is actually almost done...

I spent the last four nights in Fox Glacier twonship, which is an hour south of Franz Josef. This is where I caught up with some old friends and said the first of my big "good-byes". Now, I try really hard to be honest and realistic but when it comes to saying "see ya later" as a backpacker I find it rather trickey. I would like to say the whole "keep in touch" and the "meet you again someday" stuff in a way that is truthful, but I highly doubt that I'll see many of these people again. But I want to believe in the possiblity that it's the beginning of a story. Serendipity is a romantic idea - and therefore one I like. But it occured to me that hope, while being optimistic, is also a bit diluted. It's not quite lying to myself but it's being willing to if I have to.

I just thought that was neat. Hope gets such a good reputation but it's a little sneaky in that way...

Anywho, Fox/Franz was wonderful. I got to take a helicoptor ride onto the Fox glacier and do a little hike (yep, I have friends in high places).The weather was perfect for that day. I also got to just chill out, read, relax, eat food that I didn't have to cook - all things I really enjoy doing. One night there was a big storm and I woke up in the middle of the night both excited and a little terrified of the west coast rain. I visited a place called Gillespie's Beach and watched the Tasman Sea for a while (one of my favorite visits). We were sitting on a huge piece of driftwood that we thought was super solid, then a big wave came and moved it! I was sure we'd be dragged out to sea - panic! It was delightful. The waves were so big, and I was a little kid cheering as they crashed onto the shore. I'll really miss that...

erg! good-byes! I don't like good-byes! Lie to me! Tell me I'll see it all again soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment