Monday, December 21, 2009

merry merry chrisssssssstmasssssssssss

this pre-christmas update includes information on the following:
1) job decisions made
2)roomates and neighbors
3)new and old friends
4)things I can't remember that I wanted to say thatI will hopefully remember at the end

#1 - After much debate I've decided to stay in Franz Josef. I surprised even myself with that one. The main reason being that I came to NZ to live my dream and going from one mediocre job to another isn't living a dream at all. The job in Queenstown paid less and I guess that was the second reason for not taking it. While I would have been in a place that actually had life happening in it, with real stores and things to do; I would have had my own car to use on the weekends and would have been living in a central location of the south island - I would have also being paying more for rent and spending my money more in general on things I can do at home. I realized that I would just be living a normal average existance in a really pretty place. It seemed counter to what I had set out to do. Living in Franz Josef however means living in a place that I don't always love and finding ways to make the most of it. The best part is that I'm actaully very happy here even when I'm not! Yay me.

#2 - The day I came home from Queenstown I had a new roommate. I'm not thrilled about it, but I am getting used to it. She's actaully quite nice and a true west-coast Kiwi from Greymouth. She's only here for 5 weeks and I remind myself of that when I'm wiping up water of the bathroom floor... There is one other new roommate in my unit - my neighbor got a kitten for christmas!!! I met him today and he's adorable. I haven't played with a kitten in such a long time I actually forgot what it was like. He's so small!!!! Expect to see more pictures soon.

#3 - on the bus coming back from Queenstown I met a bunch of people that I'll never forget thanks to a flat tire. One of the guys was even from Calgary! It was great. I was excited right fromthe start to have a flat tire. I was half-asleep when we started hearing a thumping sound then stopped. When I realized what was happening I exclaimed "what an adventure!" and everyone laughed. Someone said "if a flat tire is an adventure to you, you must come from a very boring place"..... If only they lived in Franz Josef... It was cool though, everyone got out and introduced themselves to one another. It was an interesting mix of people and we were all quite positive despite being delayed an hour and a half. There were even 3 buddist monks with us! People were getting pictures taken together and interviewing one another on camcorders. I love when stuff like that happens because thats when real life happens. You are forced to give up your plans and go with whatever happens. Some choose to enjoy it, and many others do not. I'm proud to say I was thrilled by it - perhaps I'm staying true to my dream after all.

#4 - shoot. I didn't really remember.... ummmmm.... I saw my first glow worm the other night walking home from the bar. I live at the end of a dirt road with no street lights so I carry a flash light with me all the time. I had seen something glowing a few nights before but on this particular night it had been rainning and I was soaked from jumping in puddles. I figured I was wet anyways so why not wonder into the bush? It was really neat to see up close. .... hmm, what else... well I'm sorta dating someone. But I'm not going to talk about it. Ha!... nothing else really to report. OH YEAH! The french-canadian girl that I was travelling with in Paihia is in Franz and got a job at the bar I frequent. She starts wednesday (kareoke night!) and lives here now! I'm very excited about that. Oh, also I might buy a car. And I'm going skydivng on the 27th hopefully. And I'm going home to do some baking..... and I'm sending out christmas cards that you'l probably get in january some time.

and I miss and love you all.
I hope everyone has a warm, happy, and healthy christmas! I will blog again next year :P

love Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment